Sunday, June 2, 2013

R R B : NUGGETS

 First entry from the Rhino Rock Box disc representing the Nuggets set.. Here's where the music starts to get interesting..  "Nuggets:Choice artifacts from the first psychedelic era, was originally a two record set.. When Rhino gave it their box set treatment it became one of those sets that most people just had to get their hands on.



 First time I saw this set was in a flyer that my little brother got that had record sets (CD) in it, and I saw a few sets and this one was the most interesting of them all... Up until this point I never bought a box set like this, with music I had never heard of, almost the entire set of this music was new to me..
 The booklet is so interesting to read, having a little bio of all these bands, and I went home and read this booklet as the music played..  so many good songs on this set, it was no wonder that I would have a runover disc that had the remainder of what I wanted from this set and three others that were related to this set (Nuggets II and Brittish Invasion).. But here it is, the start of the Nuggets set..


 Unlike the fifties box set this will remain exclusively true to the Nuggets set.. The Electric Prunes start us off with "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night"..  Where the name of this band came from?? I don't know..

The Standells   Dirty Water   all about their hometown  Boston..

Lies by the Knickerbockers.. Relationships were tough even back then.. Teenage angst..

The Vagrants version of Respect is to me the better of the versions and I guess I like the original version here over Aretha Franklin's version..  Otis Redding on lead vocals..

The Strangeloves Night Time ... Quick shuffle rock in  it.. 

Don't Look Back by the Remains..  Cool it and groove..

BH






No comments:

Post a Comment