Sunday, April 13, 2014

t A.P.P.

The Alan Parson's Project..  I started getting into them shortly after I was well into Pink Floyd.. I remember going into a store in another town and asking the guys there what music was close to being like the Floyd and they said Moon Martin or Alan Parsons Project.. I wasn't sure about Moon Marten so I went with Alan Parsons.. The differences between Pink Floyd and the project were like night and day although there was a similarity in that Alan Parsons engineered a couple of the albums most notably was the Dark Side Of The Moon mega seller album.. So that gave him instant credibility for fans.. I bought two albums that day.. First was the I-Robot album.. :
With this came my favorite song  "Some Other Time"

This along with the title track and "break down" and I wouldn't want to be like you and the voice make this the album to get..

Next album to get is.. Turn of a Friendly card..:
Games People play part of the concept album that was about gambling  card gaming..

Pyramid was the second album I bought that day.. An interesting album it had synthi works supreme on this one..

A trifecta of songs here in Voyager, What goes up, The Eagle will rise again..  The first three songs from the Pyramid album..

Eye in the Sky most notable for the entry song or tunnel entry song of many teams around the country, one of which is the University of Nebraska..

Sirius with Eye in the Sky.. The album concept was based on the idea that there are cameras everywhere and you really have to fight to not be seen.. This was thirty plus years ago..

Gaudi was the first album that I had troubles finding seeing that it was released when the format was changing.. From vinyl records to compact disc and tapes.. Tapes were my first choice because compact discs were hard to find in our immediate local.. That changed fairly quickly of course but as this album would be unavailable to be gotten on record I didn't get it until after their next releases..   The song Standing On Higher Ground was a really good one..
Ammonia Avenue would be the last album that I would by in true record form by the Alan Parsons project, more because they started to lose favor.. Did I out grow their music??  I would say not, I was just getting tired of looking all over for them.. This album was at the store I bought those first two albums by them..

Don't answer me.. The first video I remember seeing by them..

Stereotomy .....  The concept of the music business which at the time was as robust as ever but would soon show signs of trouble, if it wasn't already..

Where's the walrus is to me what Alan Parsons music was about.. Listen on the head set (the cans) and you get the idea, they loved to have fun in the studio..


The Complete Albums Collection Box set.. includes eleven albums, the most influential of their output.. More than likely includes all of the Arista output.. Would I be interested??  Slightly.. however I opted for what I was after..

The definitive Alan Parsons.. When I thought about getting much of their music I opted to go the best of rout rather than go all in for everything I had on record then tape.. This has the better of everything and leaves some of the better deep tracks off.. From I-Robot through Eye in the Sky there are maybe a split half the songs appeal to me and the rest are filler.. By Gaudi it was three good songs and then fewer.. Maybe with age they grow on you.. Not sure..

The band was never known for their live shows but then as the century turned they did the unthinkable, they played live.. And now seem to tour every year..

BH

No comments:

Post a Comment