Sunday, November 13, 2011

IS THAT THE WAY IT REALLY WAS??


I watched that movie the T.A.M.I. show.. TAMI is short for the "Teenage American Music International" awards and was filmed in 1964.. There were reviews on Netflix stating the screaming was incredible and for the most part it was seriously loud, but it was par for the course I imagine.. I just can't fathom people (young people) screaming like that.. Ok on Cheap Trick at Budokan the crowd was ape shit nutsoid but still... In America.. But then I remembered reading that the beatles had their problem with crowds in America being that loud screaming insanity.. I was in a band way back and at one point the girls did do that at one of our gigs.. I think it was to emberass us in some way...

This was the first in what might be a series of movies from the sixties or seventies that are the old rock show type of thing that I'm gonna try to watch.. I'm kind of a rockologist of sorts.. I like to read the album liner notes while listening to the album when they were records.. I did the same thing with cds.. Now that downloading music from i-tunes is all the rage those days are over.. I can still look those bands up and read about them but there is something lost, a sort of intamacy that was there.. Also the smell of a new record or cd, might not seem like much but sometimes it's the little things that mean so much.. I bought a rock purchase guide type of book a few years ago, and used it to find some groups to try.. Sadly that book would never have been purchased now because of the i-tunes.. The ability to listen to a little bit of a song then decide to buy the song.. I was thinking of the number of discs that I bought and how few I really would have gotten had i-tunes been available in the mid to late '90's.. Box sets would be bought, mostly the Rhino sets, and Shine On by Pink Floyd.. The Emerson Lake and Palmer set I would have bought.. Just about every box set I would have gotten, but some discs?? Maybe not..

At least a hundred discs wouldn't have been bought.. Some songs maybe from those discs, but the entire disc might have been left for someone else to buy.. Treasured box sets are Crazy Diamond by Syd Barret.. The Shine On set, although not a set that includes all of their albums.. All of the Rhino sets.... Much music.. Many groups represented... Too many to mention here.. But when I think of the music that is out there now, I truely charish the sets I have, the music therein and the people who put that effort into those collections.. That kind of music isn't being made anymore...

BH

No comments:

Post a Comment