Sunday, January 27, 2013

PREFAB SPROUT

From an entry I had already done, but decided to delay the posting to sometime in February.. This is the group Prefab Sprout from England.. For me to try to describe what they sound like.. They kinda sound like a Rumours era Fleetwood Mac crossed with...  I dunno some other group of that type.. Here is the song "If You Don't Love Me"  covered by other artists but no one does it as good as the 'Sprout does it..

The sound of Crying, another great track by the Prefab Sprout.. I think I like them because they do have a simpler sound..  Catchy hooks..


Wendy Smith on background vocals makes When Love Breaks Down a classic...

Appetite...  Sometimes a song just grabs you..   The bridge nails it for me..

"Imagine Sinatra walked here"    Hey Manhattan...


My greatest impressions of Prefab Sprout :  Well where to start.. I do only have one album by them, a greatest hits collection.. I found them by complete accident.. Back in the day, when VH-1 classic ran videos (yes way back then) I would record the eight hour cycle they ran and then play the videos and see if there was anything worth keeping.. The rare instance when I would find the music pleasing and would find so many here and there but mostly they were from there as in England or Europe or..  Rarely American.. Then the songs Appetite and When Love Breaks Down were on (Tuesday two play type of thing) and I really liked what I heard and Wendy isn't to bad to look at either.. So I set out in search of a best of or anthology by them in hopes there was enough music out there to have such a thing.. Turns out they were in their lull as they were having troubles either by health or by Wendy having children..  And there was a double disc and by now I'm sure  a box set has been released.. So many artists talk about this group and their influence on them..

I got the set of discs and listened to them and was so impressed..  Sadly the time I started listening to them was about the time my dad was to venture into the final chapter of his life, the dialysis years.. Wish it was years, it was the last seventeen months (or so) of his life.. And the first little bit when I would take him to the dialysis center and then go off to the park and listen to this disc set.. It was what made it most memorable for me.. And so when I listened to this music this past Friday night as part of my "Midnight Special" thing that I do, it brought back memories of that time not so very long ago.. Might be not the best of times but I wouldn't trade them for anything.. 

BH

No comments:

Post a Comment