Sunday, November 11, 2012

MUSIC ALA RGD


Today's entry is for my dad.. His taste was somewhat all over the place.. I caught him listening to groups that I never thought he would but rarely did listen to anything other than straight forward country..  Elvis was a staple in his collection...


Neil Diamond was another one of the artists dad listened to very regularly and it was because he did listen to this music that I would buy a couple best ofs by Mr. Diamond..


I'm not going to lie to you about liking Johnny Cash, because there wasn't much about his music that I did like while growing up.. However since getting older I do have a certain amount of respect for the guy, as a musician and artist.. 


There seemed to be a bit of fun with Buch Owens..  I remember the old show He Haw and we watched that Sunday nights (?) on a regular basis.. 


Charlie Pride, his music was quite tolerable for me when dad listened to this.. In fact I think it might have been the last tape or cd that I ever got him.. 

 

Herb Alpert was a strange thing.. I liked his music, and it was something from the early seventies when we had the old 8-track tape player, one of the tapes dad had and my memories were quite vivid from this period.. I bought a cd of a best of anthology mostly because of that period.. I'm not sure dad really liked it at the point where I got it.. I think he had left that part of his taste in music behind and it might seem strange to say that but there are groups that now I don't think I would have gotten into but from my youth, I have no problem saying that this or that shaped my taste in music.. 

 

This is just a handful of the music dad listened to over the years.. He could turn the radio on and find a station playing country music and just cruise, as we did on the family   to Moab Utah and Las Vegas those years many a moon ago.. Those long hot trips..  The memories really aren't the destination, the most memorable times were getting there.. 

 

BH

No comments:

Post a Comment