Monday, January 23, 2012

THE FEELING OF VICTORY

In late October sometime I had heard of this thing called SOPA that the congress was discussing and I looked at it a little.. I had been railing against the pipeline being put in our backyard (figurative) here in Nebraska.. One thing I didn't like about it was it was being buried in the aquifer that supplied our entire state and eight others with drinking water, and yeah if the oil were to spill everyone would have to find a new water supply.. When that got sidelined (it seemed) then this new "cause" shot up on importance.. Well it seemed not that important at the time, but I thought I'd check into it some more.. It didn't take long for me to read that this would change the internet completely and possibly even ruin it.. Why I dove head first into this I don't know, I was hoping someone would see that it was bad and do what I really don't like to which is get involved.. But get involved I did switching my vision from the pipeline to the SOPA PIPA bills which at Christmas time were about to be voted on secretly which was total crap.. There are those who watch the government very closely and on this I took those mentions and tweeted the hell out of them.. I had fewer that a hundred followers at that time but felt like, in my case I get tweets by people I don't follow, and was hoping this would be true of the tweets I was sending out.. The twitterverse is an odd thing, it is the reason things are done now.. Anyway I hope my tweets were read by more people than what I have as followers, or that everyone who cared used twitter to spread the word.. It seems the only people who knew of these bills were those on a dozen sites, of which a little known (by me) site was one of them.. When Go Daddy said they supported the SOPA bill a site called REDDIT organized a retaliation to have as many people revoke their sites and move them to a site that didn't support SOPA.. That move made Go Daddy change their stance on the support of the bill, sort of.. They told everyone that they didn't support the bill but didn't remove their name as a supporter of the bill in Washington.. That was watched by the sites that watch things like that.. So last Wednesday comes and 150,000 sites go black or partially black in support of removing these bills from consideration.. It felt so amazing to see this happen, I can only imagine what it felt like back in the sixties or something..


New Homepage set up:: Back in November around Thanksgiving I had something happen where I downloaded an update for a program and during the install I wasn't paying attention and I had my homepage switched to something I didn't want and in the process of switching back I couldn't get mine back.. I decided to search for a homepage and Googled it. I came up with four, Bing, Yahoo, MSNBC and one other i had never hear of before in I-Google.. i-Google is something completely different in that it has modules or what they call "gadgets" that you can add as many as you want.. I've written about this before, I added so many gadgets with the idea that I would cut the number down as I saw what I used and which were important.. The past nearly two months now I have been working on this, adding some and subtracting some.. I want a strong concise page, and use Yahoo as a template of sorts.. It will be an ongoing project probably indefinite... But I think that is a good thing... Betther than being stuck with what other homepages give you..

BH

No comments:

Post a Comment