Saturday, February 25, 2012

BINKY THE WONDER HOARDER..

So Bob stops in yesterday and said something about their DJ business, that they were glad they weren't asked to play the local school winter ball because of a little problem they had last year.. Seems the sponsors didn't want any Lady Gaga (claptrap) to be played and yet the kids kept requesting they play some.. To me the kids should get the music they want played, but the sponsors pay the bills (I guess) and so what do you do then?? I always thought it would be cool to run a sound system like that.. Except for one thing, I would rather play what I wanted to hear and say to hell with everybody's wants.. If they have trouble filling what people want to hear using a DJ thing then a band is really limited.. The band I was in had a lot of songs but half were out own and the other half were covers.. And so we knew quite a few songs but rarely played all the songs we had, and couldn't have someone come up and ask to hear a song and then we go learn it on break, that wasn't those guys ability. Other bands can do that, some guitarists have a natural ear for songs and song structure, such as blues or whatever.. Some old songs are easy to pick up, I'd love to have been in a band that could do that.. Fake it somewhat and at other times just play the song from memory because we have heard the song a hundred times on the radio & all... To me that would be the ultimate, to be in a band that could play anything and be of a biker bar type of band... I've always wanted to be in a niche type like that, more readily able to play for a packed bar than to try to make our own crowd by writing music to force people to listen to. To me, I was in a band that wrote original songs and recorded them and marketed them and it was a waste of time.. We constantly practiced our songs and let the cover songs suffer.. To me I'd rather it be the other way around to the point of practicing cover songs exclusively.. but that's me...


What's with this wind?? 47 mph sustained, continuous, 67 mph hour gusts.. I put on the facebook when is the eye of the hurricane supposed to pass over us...

BH

No comments:

Post a Comment