Saturday, February 18, 2012

SO CLOSE AND YET SO FAR AWAY


I was in the local walmart again the other day and just an off chance looking at the garden center section.. Was looking and thinking and figuring.. Trying to decide what the garden will be this year.. I came to the conclusion after last year that I want everything in a container and be able to move everything to a sheltered area, or al least a little bit more sheltered than out in the open to get royally .......... mowed down by nature let's just say.. I'm gonna try to get a starter kit and seeds for it and was checking again on them and then I saw this thing. The salsa garden starter kit, which was something I thought of last year when one of the peppers I had grown was a serious HOT variety.. I wasn't sure I had all the ingredients growing there.. I did have roma tomatoes or I should say HAD romas because they got mowed by the final hail storm in August.. Same as the jalepeno peppers, I had two varieties of those.. So I had the peppers and tomatoes, in this kit there are two peppers in Cayenne and jalepeno, as well as cilantro, white lisbon onion, and the roma tomato.. with the seeds is potting mix and the planter.. In this case the planter is called a self watering pot that measures maybe a foot long as oval shaped so the narrow area is maybe three or four inches wide.. Originally I wait and think about weather I want something like this and research and think more then either buy it or something like it or don't buy it and figure something else out.. I am more determined to start my own seeds this year just because I want to try that route again (gluten for punishment).. I went on ahead and bought it at the nearly six dollar price tag I thought it might be worth it.. Then after I got it I did some figuring and knowing that most of the seeds packets are nearly a dollar each and there are five in there that was worth it.. figuring everything separate would maybe run over ten dollars i figure I got something here.. Then I thought I might could put this into the Earth box planter.. But after talking to mom she wants me to try the kit as is and so I decided to do that and have the Earthbox be a shadow project, or in other words have it be the same thing on a little bit bigger scale and with the self watering system it will be interesting to see which produces better.. I don't think the Earth box was designed for this kind of project or I should say it wasn't shown to do this but with buying this thing I started thinking that if all these plants can be in that combined of a space then why not try them in the Earthbox.. So some excitement towards spring has started to be generated..

BH

No comments:

Post a Comment