Tuesday, February 14, 2012

With a certain amount of fear that someone might think this blog is becoming a tech or gadget type of thing, I enter yet another blog about some favorite toys.. Discovery is a nice thing, and exploring the internet is always fun.. Today I decided to download the Opera (or what I wrongly call the Oprah) browser.. A few years back I had this browser but could never understand how it worked.. When you use a certain browser switching to another can be uncoordinated (like shooting left handed when you are right).. But after the Chrome browser did what it did (again) in November I needed to get away from it.. What Chrome did was not be able to open any site.. Now you might say that this is the cookie cache being over full, and this was the second time this browser crapped out on me..  I tried all the tricks to get it to work right and then did  a full delete then reacquired it.. The second time I did this I went with the newest Chrome browser build, the beta which I have tried beta before and realized I don't have the patience for figuring out the bugs and all... When the Chrome browser did that the second time I went to the Google site and downloaded Chromium..  Chromium is the developers version of Chrome.. That might have been a mistake to try but I was desperate to have Chrome.. Two days later I started the Firefox browser, my old friend.. The best browser was now the default browser.. Firefox was like a dear old friend, I'd started using it when I got on the internet way back....  believe it or not I've only been messing with computers for about eight years now.. (earlier entry) I decided to try a different browser because I've always done things that way.. When everyone else bought a VHS vcr I got  a betamax.. And the same was true for browsers.. I wanted three browsers (besides IE) and so I had three in Chrome, Firefox and  Safari.. Safari is of course the Apple base browser (Their version of IE) only better, but limited..   When I went though troubles with Firefox in December I wanted to try other browsers so I did a search and found Netscape, Lunascape6 and Opera.. Netscape was a favorite from when I had Firefox way back when.. The support for it was discontinued, sadly, in favor of Firefox.. Lunascape6 (six being the sixth build) is nice but is limited almost like Safari, but is windows OS based.. Opera: I finally tried it and fell in love with the ease of use.. It loads pages faster and better than Chrome although Chrome loads pages the fastest (so they say).. I've found that both Firefox and Chrome are more consistent when loading the pages I need loaded when I load them..

Today I installed Opera browser on the laptop computer and it stunned me how much more better it works on there than Firefox does.. However Firefox has i-Google as my homepage and it continues to grow in shear number of Gadgets.. Sadly it overwhelms the processor I think and so it crashes the laptop if I open more than one tab.. And I'm a multiple tab user, a habit a formed a long time ago..  Opera has a thing on it called "speed dial"  and what that does is let you set up the most visited sites kind of like Chrome only better.. Instead of eight pages you can have as many as you want.. I try to keep it to just seven or so.. From those sites there are links to other sites.. Opera also has something called "portal" which has news and such sites that is a little like i-Google only limited to just a select number.. I like some limits but I'm sure that will change because I think it is fairly new..

New (to me anyway) from Google is a site called Pano.. Kind of cool.. I haven't messed with the site much at all but it is like Google Earth a little bit..  "Zygote body"; Something I messed with a little but haven't really tried much yet..  "Sketch up" is like that Blender program, the ability to work in Three dimensional type of sketches and other ideas.. Again this type of idea was so interesting to me but I just couldn't wrap my mind around even a starting point...  "Reader"; this might intrigue me the most.. I've seen reader around alot but never gave it much thought.. Supposedly it gives complete control over the sites you visit via making any new entries to the sites be placed in the reader which would be so handy in that I visit thousands of sites.. That isn't really true.. I go to sites like Reddit and sites of those type and they send me to quite a good number of sites.. Some I gather the link and add it to my homepage.. Talk about clutter.. I have to eliminate a good number of those links eventually and reader might be just what the doctor ordered..  That will be the next thing I try I think.. 

BH

1 comment:

  1. JACKPOT!! Nailed that one.. Reader is the new IT on the 'net and I see nothing but good, or rather GREAT things coming from using this thing.. Hopefully Google won't discontinue using it.. There are more than just Google that uses it and I would be disappointed if I'd have to switch but I would without thinking twice.. IT IS THE WAY TO VIEW THE INTERNET NOW.. And I have loaded the more important torrent pages, so it really is that good to me...

    ReplyDelete