Monday, July 9, 2012

BANANA MONDAYS BANANAs

"I would like to share an experience with you, about drinking and driving.  As you well know, some of us have been known to have had brushes with the authorities on our way home from the odd social session over the years.
A couple of nights ago, I was out for a few drinks with some friends at the Marriott Hotel and had a few too many beers and some rather nice red wine. Knowing full well I may have been slightly over the limit, I did something I’ve never done before: I took a bus home.
Sure enough I passed a police road block but, as it was a bus, they waved it on.

I arrived home safely without incident, which was a real surprise, as I have never driven a bus before and am not sure where I got it."


"During my yearly physical examination, my doctor asked me about my physical activity level.
I described a typical day this way:
“Well, yesterday afternoon, I took a five hour walk through some pretty rough terrain.
I waded along the edge of a lake.
I pushed my way through brambles.
I got sand in my shoes and my eyes.
I climbed several rocky hills.
I took a few ‘leaks’ behind some big trees.
The mental stress of it all left me shattered.
At the end of it all I drank a bottle of wine”.

Inspired by the story, the doctor said, “You must be one hell of an outdoors person!”
 “No,” I replied, “I’m just a terrible golfer”. "
 Found this last one a bit late for the forth.. 

Saturday afternoon after setting three separate entries  for the start of the week I was doing some Google Earth stuff, mostly I was retracing the trip back from Silverton that year we went through Steamboat Springs.. That was such a cool trip and I was trying to look at it.. The place where I took the picture that I doctored and then used as the main picture for Facebook and Twitter and... It was taken somewhere along that leg of the trip, and I was sure I could find it.. Then the computer acted up a bit as computers do.. It locked up and out of my frustration I pushed the main power button on the tower.. You're supposedly supposed to be able to do this on a laptop and as well the tower of a desk top computer without any troubles.. I pushed the button and it goes off.. Turned it back on and went to get a drink of water.. Returned and it was showing the windows logo, and stayed there for quite some time without moving.. Then with some coxing it moved to the log on screen.. I log in and push enter and we get the desk top screen I push to start the browser and it goes mashooga on me..

It went "blue screen of death"  type of thing.. I know that sometimes this is serious but it usually goes to restart.. It did and I chose to start in safe mode, and as it started this way it seemed to lock up this way as well.. So again I turn it off, and this time when it started it went to a repair screen I had never seen before.  UHH  OHH..  What does this mean??  It went to a start up screen that would run a repair and diagnostics program.. It will fix itself??  Can it do that?? The answer as it turns out is yes it can.. After a half an hour of worry it seemed to fix itself and seems to be working better than it was.. 

That's the good news, now the bad.. And I was expecting this.. I can't say how disappointed I am when this happened, but not surprised..  After the repair the computer did on itself  Chrome browser took it in the shorts.. I clicked to start it and it brought itself open to the page it should have but it was clear, white.. And nothing I could do would fix it.. I opened the options screen and shut down what I thought the problem was and it worked.. Chrome works but in losing the "app" (the speed dial app) I lost the reason I wanted the browser.. I will try it again but not only have I lost that app, but all confidence has been lost in the Chrome browser and it lost the default distinction and has also been removed from the tool bar position..  The most used programs are all pinned down there so I don't have to look through the desktop to find them...Opera has reacquired the default status..  I have no problem using different browsers for different things 

 Played Scrabble before signing off Saturday night and lost by seven.. I missed a turn when time ran out on me once.. Had I scored any points I would most likely have won.. The next time I played I won..  A new strategy I have developed playing the veteran level is to pass the opening turn, make the computer start the game.. It is easier to win this way on this level.. 
  
BH

No comments:

Post a Comment