Friday, July 6, 2012

(it's like) THERE'S A CLOCK IN MY HEAD












is it "blood money?" you don't think he would handle american lives the same way...squeezing the maximum life out of the 99%?
....the romneys were reported to have invested at least $1 million in elliott associates, l.p., a hedge fund specializing in “distressed assets.” elliott buys up cheap debt, often at cents on the dollar, from lenders to deeply troubled nations such as congo-brazzaville, then attacks the debtor states with lawsuits to squeeze maximum repayment. elliott is run by the secretive hedge-fund billionaire and g.o.p. super-donor paul singer, whom fortune recently dubbed mitt romney’s “hedge fund kingmaker.” (singer has given $1 million to romney’s super-pac restore our future.) - vanity fair
is this the really the type of president we want? the president our country can afford?

Is it impeccable timing I guess:

 Google's personalized homepage will no longer be available starting from November 2013. The official explanation is that "with modern apps that run on platforms like Chrome and Android, the need for iGoogle has eroded over time".

iGoogle started as a custom Google homepage that allowed you to add gadgets for weather, news, mail and more. "The goal of this initiative is to bring together Google functionality, and content from across the web, in ways that are useful to our users," explained Google in 2005.

Just like My Yahoo, Netvibes and other custom start pages, iGoogle became a dashboard that gathered your favorite content from the web. It was a simplified feed reader, a platform for mini-apps and games, a great homepage for your browser. Social networks and smartphones addressed most of these use cases and iGoogle's popularity declined.

Most likely, Google will promote Google+ as an iGoogle replacement, even though it lacks many of its features. Google+ apps, themes and maybe even a dashboard-like interface could fill iGoogle's void.

I was just thinking a couple of days ago that I should look at getting a different homepage, something close to what I have on I-Google but less of a strain on resources.. If there has been anything that I don't care for on the i-Google it is upon start up it takes quite a while to load and it causes every browser to lock up for a short time which can be an eternity when you need to see the weather or something else important..  And then I start up the browser with the homepage and that little note was tacked to it.  "i-Google no longer available after November 2013"... There were doubts by me that this homepage would last much longer, the gadgets were getting stale or going stale.. There hadn't been a new gadget in quite a while and some of the gadgets have many complaints none the least of which are the ads and the size of the ads.. I have some that are huge where the gadget might could be a smallish box.. What I will miss about i-Google??  There are some gadgets that can't be replaced.. I've gotten so used to them that they are very valuable to me for their information and concise amount they contain.. Just about perfect..

So I searched for me a new homepage, and I think I will do the same as I did before.. Back in November I was searching for something new to replace whatever I had and stumbled quite literally upon the i-Google homepage and it was a nice adventure getting the gadgets and deciding which ones to keep and which ones were crap.. Now I will try to decide by having three or four load simultaneously the way I did before and then click each one and decide.. I even had Bing as my homepage.. It wasn't that big of a stretch to think that Bing could be the homepage or a nice second started at startup.. The thing is I am looking at Opera and it could be my homepage.. The Opera speed dial could be the home page/browser since you can't have one without the other.. The possibility of having Chrome be the main browser (since it is the default browser) has occurred to me but I have sworn I would never rely on that browser ever again, so using it as the go to browser in default means I trust it when I need it for certain things but not on an every day basis..

The homepage I am leaning towards is Yahoo, and My Yahoo.. But I think I will have three or four to choose from; Yahoo (My Yahoo) MSN, Bing and My Homepage.. The last one reminds me of i-Google so right of way I am thinking to NOT  try that again.. I can personalize the Yahoo set where MSN hs so much to look at which it good.. I'm gonna look at different homepages and hopefully decide by .. believe it or not November again.. This November not next year at the cutoff date..  I've also said I am probably going to drop Google+.. As much as I wanted it to be THE social site to replace Facebook, until more people use Google +, I can't see it being viable.. 

I have this way about me.. I use a timer on the grass, for the watering.. I want to know what I am watering, the true time or as close as I can to it.. I don't like to guess, put the sprinkler on the lawn and think has it been ten minutes when it has been a half an hour.. I like to know that what fifteen minutes of a sprinkler being placed in a certain location will amount to the grass being green.. What I don't know for certain is how much water (volume) is being applied to the grass this way.. I think it is about a third of an inch because it seems to do fine, look alright.. I have started the alternating days idea watering the front Tues, Thurs, Sat.  And watering the back Mon, Wed, Fri... With Sunday being spot watering both front and back with a soaker type of sprinkler.. I hope the lawn doesn't slide back to the way  it looked in May, the effort was fairly daunting to get the grass back to fair looking.. But like I said I won't water if it just goes overboard to keep it looking good.. The front will get water regular, the back will get a cut rate amount.. Just the way it is..

Anyway when I set the water (timer) and go in the house or whatever it's like I have  a clock in my head and I go out just as the timer shuts the water off.. It's like I'm watching the watering stop, but I'm not.. Sometimes I hear the click of the timer, the clunk of the water suddenly stopping flowing.. Sometimes it's just plain shit assed luck..


The fireworks the town set off are small by comparison to Silverton, in fact nowhere else does it that way that is the size of the town Silverton is... NO ONE!!  Our neighbors next door did some of those mortar type fireworks.. i think mom thought they might be about to invade.. They are loud in the house here the launching of the shells.. But like I always said, even if they shot that many off every day that they are legal I wouldn't care  it's just ten days.. A lot of people don't like them (fireworks) and I hear the complaints on the scanner, but all I can say is stop worrying, these people (kids included) will only be  a bigger pain in the ass if you complain.. The neighbors wrapped up at about ten, and others were shooting off a bit later but they all got done by ten thirty at the latest.. It was a fully uneventful holiday.. 

BH

(P.S. the cat burger part of yesterdays entry was a joke.. I think Skootr would be a weeeee bit NASTY  tasting ..  that would be NASTY  with a G   ...  Ga NASTY.. )

No comments:

Post a Comment