Thursday, May 17, 2012

DON'T DO AS I SAY, DON'T DO AS I DO.. JUST DON'T

 Today was "get the last idea to fix things" day.. A week ago I got everything set, the earth box, and a planter were set, got the drip irrigation set on everything by Monday.. Drip irrigation is the best way to water everything in the garden, I just wish the yard could be watered this way..  

Yesterday I mowed the lawn for it's second mowing.. I should say I mowed parts of the lawn.. The back was not long enough anywhere to be mowed, unless I set the platform to nearly scalp level.. The front wasn't much better.. I have watered the grass and it just won't grow.. So today we got a fertilizer to try to make it grow that way... I looked at Walmart and a few other stores and got something from a hardware store.. I wanted a fairly high nitrogen content, and this seems to be that, now I just hope the grass doesn't have that yellow tint it has had the last three years..

Back to the drip irrigation.. When everything was set I was just sure this was good to go for the season.. Last year it seemed like a fight to get it to work, to make sure everything was fine all the time.. The "heads" kept coming undone from the tubing at the Earth box and everything in the pumpkin patch seemed hard to set the water for.. I tried to build  a Earth box type of planter using a recycling tote box that Bob left around.. It worked fine the first few years I used it, then last year it gave me nothing but trouble.. Turns out it had a crack in the bottom, more than likely it was there at the start of the season.. Why I didn't notice?? I think I just was so sure it was fine that I didn't even bother looking, but through the entire season it was never able to fill in the allotted time it filled in years previous.. So after the season was over I checked it and sure enough it had a crack in it.. It could still be used as an Earthbox type of planter, I have a tub big enough to set it in that would contain the water from leaking out, but I'm not sure I want to try it..

I don't know why I feel the way I do this season.. Usually I'm ready for summer with what I want to plant and getting ready to go at it but this year I have felt like I could give a shit..   Sadly I think part of the problem is the last three seasons of getting hailed or wind and hail or just unlucky weather.. Three years that trounced the plants.. I've said I'd be a horrible farmer.. 










 The picture directly above is from a gadget on i-Google called fractal of the day.. I had another that was an abstract picture that was where the cool designs on an earlier entry came from.. I'm not sure about keeping this gadget, I like some of the pictures/designs but am just not sure I want to have it on there anymore.. I went in search of some new gadgets to try the other day.. I had a translator gadget that didn't seem to work worth a crap anymore so I went in search of a new one and it took a bit but I got it.. Along with a second weather map that shows better detail on storms..    I also got the earth shines type of gadget.. It shows the day light area, and the northern third of Alaska is already in 24/7 sunlight... 

Through the Reed Timmer facebook site I was able to get several new weather sites with radar and tornado type of pages..  Also was able to acquire a site from the Google gadgets as well.. 

Reader got smaller by two folders, then bigger by one.. I had reuters two RSS feeds then found out they have a few more I was interested in, and got them.  

Yesterdays entry was a return to the entries I was trying to avoid..   It seems like the idea started fine then got lost around the fifth word and I was on auto pilot.. Tried to string a few coherent ideas together but the further into the entry I got the more blather it seemed to become..   I always think if the idea isn't there don't try to force it..  End here..

BH




No comments:

Post a Comment