Sunday, April 15, 2012

THE SILENCE AS SCIENCE

I'm writing you, I'm reading you...    Yesterday was kind of a banner day here at the PNOP site if the stats page are to be believed.. I haven't seen those kind of numbers here since... Well ever, since definitely the old "Monkey cage" days...  I think some peoples browsers got stuck or I had the right words in a couple entries to cause search engines to stop here.. Nice goin' Google...  No complaints from me..

Recently I watched a couple interesting movies from the Netflix.. The first was that Apollo 18.. Let me just say that growing up I wasn't a science fiction fan, I don't know why.. Movies like Logan's Run kinda freaked me out when I was little.. But one thing I did like was the space program and in particular the trips to the moon.. I'm so surprised at the number of people who say we have never been to the moon.. With the best telescopes they still can't see where we landed..  All I have to say to that is at certain altitudes you can't make out little vehicles here on Earth, and you want to say that from Earth you want to be able to see the landing sites on the moon??  Ain't not gonna happen.. (double negative there for effect)...  I did like the movie Apollo 18 although it was really far fetched at times  with the most obvious at the end where (spoiler alert) the two space crafts collide.. While the collision is not to far out, it's the obvious speed of impact would mean both men were killed, and a strong possibility that the two crafts would eventually crash into the surface of the moon.. So my question, how did they retrieve the film footage??   Supposedly the video was retrieved from the vaults at NASA, and uploaded to a web site, how did anyone get it???  That wasn't answered even in the dvd extras. I know it was a low budget nearly indie flick.... Just thinking here..

The second movie was Saint Clara... This was a foreign language movie or as I call them a reader.. I had a reader a couple weeks ago that I dozed off to.. It was a three hour marathon of a movie made in Russia.. This one, Saint Clara, is a Hebrew language movie so as the opening sequence starts and the words start to run from right to left it was odd to see.. Then there was the dialog on the movie, while a reader can be turned down or muted I like to listen to it while I read it..  The Hebrew language has a lot of throaty sound to it much to the way a person my talk through a throat of phlem... A throaty sound that isn't my favorite sound, it was just odd, I mean I've heard it before but..

A couple of tv shows are back, and one is new.. The Apprentice U.K. and it's following show You're Fired have returned to the BBC, and while it is not available in America, it is the better of the two.. While celebrity apprentice has Donald Trump,    The Apprentice (U.K.) has the great Lord Sugar as their top person.. The difference for me is Donald Trump was handed the keys to the empire and Lord Sugar worked for his..

The second show and it is as well on the BEEB is called Dirk Gently and it is closely associated with the Douglas Adams book series of the same name.  A comedy built with Dirk as a bumbling detective.. These shows I wish the BBC America ran instead of American reruns of British inspired television shows...

BH

No comments:

Post a Comment