Wednesday, April 4, 2012

THAT'S THE WAY

A little less than a year ago...  I lost a friend..  I was just more pissed off than anything.. I had just gotten the yard raked and ready for the season ahead and loaded the pickup with the yard stuff and taken up to the dump and when I got back I was needing my pocket knife for something and.. Reached into my pocket and... It wasn't there.. So where was it??  I checked a couple places and figured it had to be somewhere simple.. Then I checked something else and put something in my pocket and felt it hit my shoe... AWW  CRAP I got a hole in my pocket.. I think I knew about that but ignored it because I thought it wasn't big enough to swallow a pocket knife.. But then I felt the hole with my fingers and yep, it was big enough to swallow my pocket knife now.. I was more upset at my self than anything.. So I went up to the dump and tried to sift through the leaves and yard waste as much as I could and.. Ended up giving up...  Through the year I would check at various stores looking for a suitable replacement but just couldn't find one. All the latest pocket knives have more things on them than I wanted.. In the meantime I had a new "gadget" pocket knife in the form of a multitool type of thing, where it had a blade and screw driver and can opener and slotted screw driver and the more important thing of all it has a pair of pliers.. The most important thing and in fact I had started carrying this tool before I ever lost that pocket knife.. At this past Christmas time I looked for  a replacement pocket knife and had one picked out at Target.. This is the one.. And I had it in my grubby hands headed towards the checkout but as I was meandering towards the checkout I kept thinking that I really wanted a pliers set in my pocket and was rather use to having that as was the case and truth is I have more than one of these type of things avail;able as I am a collector of these things much the way some people collect electronics gadgets.. And so I decided the best pocket knife is the one in my pocket right now and took the package back and put it on the hook..  

Fast forward to today and the people who do the yard stopped by and did it and after they left mom said is that a pocket knife on the deck out there and I said beats me.. Then she asked again and wondered if it was mine or theirs and so I went out and checked and... (strike up the music ... )  It was mine.. The long lost knife from last year was found somewhere in the yard.. Where it was found I don't know but there it was.. Slightly rusted I clicked it open and the four blades (tools) opened and were kinda nasty but I figured with a little elbow grease that I might could get it to be usable again.. Some WD-30 and carburator cleaner and it started looking better..  I figure a couple more sessions and it will be back to better.. I thought it was gone for good and in fact stopped looking for a replacement..

Ian was here today.. A rare Wednesday watching as his mother switched days.. I needed to bury some shreded documents in the pumpkin patch and he came out to help me.. And what a help he was.. He asked what are we doing and I told him I was digging a hole to bury the bodies.. Can I help and I said sure..

I do wish I could have done the entire lawn myself but I could see the time slipping away this season although it is still early April.. I will shortly need to trans plant the peppers into bigger pots and decide which plant stays and which plant goes.. I hate doing that.. It's like playing god sort of.. One year I was going to prune the tomato plants and the day came that I was gonna do it and it hailed the night before so, that spared me the tough decision as the hail knocked the limbs off for me...

BH

No comments:

Post a Comment